Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blueberry streusel muffins


IMG_1447I’m not much of a baker besides listening to what Betty Crocker tells me to do. I had some extra blueberries that were not sweet enough to eat and instead of making blueberry preserves like I do with all berries that are about to go bad, I made Blueberry Streusel Muffins instead. I was excited to use my totally awesome colorful silicone muffin cups. I love how blueberries burst when baked which is why I love to add a lot more than I need to. I made a streusel topping to go along with the blueberries for something extra.










Muffin BatterIMG_1416
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I would add more sugar if you like sweeter muffins)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • IMG_14201 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tsp orange zest
Streusel
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed



IMG_1429I’m not a baker but even I was able to put this together. Don’t limit yourself to blueberries, you can add anything you want. Chopped bananas and walnuts, raspberries, or even chocolate chips are all my favorites.
Dust the blueberries with flour so they don’t sink to the bottom of the batter when mixed. Combine Sugar, salt, baking powder, oil, egg, milk, and orange zest together. Fold in the blueberries but do not over mix the batter. Combine the streusel ingredients to a crumbly mixture. Pour the batter into muffin cups and top it with streusel. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
     Yum yum!
IMG_1441

No comments:

Post a Comment